Technique Tuesday: Side Sit + Row
Yesterday I was walking through the gym and saw Matt McLeod, CSCS (strength coach and exercise specialist at CMPT) doing this Side Sit + Row exercise with one of his clients... it is a GREAT combination exercise that accomplishes so much in 45 seconds!
- Resistance Band
- Strengthen your glutes and obliques as a functional unit (ie- in the manner you use them to function ALL DAY EVERYDAY)
- Strengthen your core stabilizers to resist spinal rotation and resist spinal side bending
- Strengthen your rotator cuff as a stabilizer on 1 arm and as a dynamic mover on the other arm
- Drive your bottom knee down into the floor and try to place as little weight (or no weight) through your bottom foot
- Keep the ground pushed away with your bottom elbow
- Keep your tailbone tucked and spine neutral (straight line)
- Do not let your body move while you perform the row
When done correctly you will feel the muscles working through your outer hip (of the bottom leg), side / oblique, abs, and the back of your shoulder.