- 1 stability ball
- 1 dumbbell (likely lighter than you would use for a double arm dumbbell press)
- 1 mini band
- strength your deep core to prevent rotation of your pelvis and spine while you perform an upper extremity pushing task-- this is how our deep core needs to function throughout the day!
- strengthen your glutes
- strengthen your obliques
- strengthen your pecs / chest on top of a stable foundation
- drive through your heels to keep your hips lifted up, but keep your tailbone tucked and spine in a neutral position (you should NOT feel your lower back working!)
- keep knees pressed out against the band
- pelvis and spine should not move as you press the weight up and down --- if you are unable to prevent your pelvis from turning then the weight is likely too heavy! (most people will need to choose a weight that is LIGHTER than what they would use for a 2 arm DB press)
When done correctly you will feel the muscles working through your glutes / bum (likely more so on the same side as the weight, but don't worry, you will do it on both sides!), core, and pecs / chest.